Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Incredible India, abbreviated

Happy New Year! I had the fortunate opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to India over the holidays and new year. It’s taken me some time to write about the trip, and I suppose perhaps I put it off because I needed adequate time to reflect on the experience, perhaps I was fearful that my words would in no way describe the trip in its most beautiful expression or perhaps 2014 came and “real life” just got in the way. Whatever the excuse, I did want to document some highlights from the 15 days I spent in one of the most magical, sacred, crazy and unpredictable places I have ever been….
The premise of taking the trip was to have the opportunity to participate in the Sacred Temple Vinyasa Retreat in the rural south of India with Janet Stone and Hareesh Wallis. However, since I had a few days off over Christmas before the group trip began, I ventured first by myself to the North to explore the infamous capital city, Delhi, and some tourist attractions nearby….
My flight landed at night, and I have to say, after a grueling nearly 2 days of travel, it was probably best that I went straight to the hotel for some rest before I could digest where I had actually landed.  My first morning, I was to meet a guide for a city tour mid-morning, but after meeting another friendly solo traveler at breakfast, we ventured out to the streets for a walk first. Everyone who has been to India tries to prepare you for what it is like, but I will tell you, I can’t describe it. I could tell you that I walked around the city with a heavy feeling in my stomach, guilty to make eye contact with the crowds of people, especially young children, living on top of garbage in the streets because clearly I had so much and they had so little.  I could also tell you the energy of the city is always alive, full of color and smells and flavors and heat. I could even tell you that hands down I have never experienced traffic and organized chaos like driving the streets of Delhi. However, nothing I would tell you would prepare you for your own experience, because India is so unique and has a certain power that seems to connect differently within each visitor.  My time in the North was mostly full of touristy stops; visiting Old Delhi, local shops, a trip to Agra for a view of that very famous wonder of the worldJ and a trip to Jaipur to take in the sites of the pink city and the Amber Fort. A few photos to share of some highlights:
 
Old Delhi views behind

vendors in Old Delhi

The wonder that is The Taj Mahal

exquisite palaces
views of Agra Fort

one of the many delicious meals

Following the hustle bustle of the north, I hopped a short plane ride to the city of Bangalore in the south where I had the opportunity to meet the other 35 seekers who would share the next 10-day pilgrimage with me. Guided by the most exquisite, beautiful and authentic teachers, Janet and Hareesh, I never dreamed of the experience that would unfold in this short time together. I really can’t put into words everything we “did” on the journey because so much of the experience was not necessarily an action or a place we saw, but rather a life lesson, a self-awareness teaching, an internal shift, a bond of friendship, a sacred ritual, a personal experience. I will sum it up that we did have the opportunity to practice yoga as a community, visit several spectacular, sacred temples and sites, relax among the rural backdrop of southern India, eat…and eat again, learn from each other and our teachers and welcome a new year, on a mountaintop as a satsung while the sun set on the past one. One thing that stood out to me thoughout the trip was the spirit of people. How they honor their tradition and how, even thought they seem to have so little, there is such happiness. It really allows one to evaluate life's important moments, people and actions and open the heart with gratitude and love. Truly a remarkable, life-changing trip and I am so thankful for the new friends, kindred spirits and our teachers who led us on this sacred journey. A few pictures of some highlights to capture the pilgrimage.
 
temple visit

footprints of Vishnu

the light peeking through the temple is magical 
exquisite carvings 

my man Ganesh

new friends

the teachers that inspire us

beautiful pooja ceremony

so lucky for my roomie and new friend

all smiles

sunrise at the Hanuman temple

sun set on 2013

sun set yoga

Yoga Bhaktas

gratitude


A trip to India was an intention I set forth as I approached my 30th year, and I am so grateful for the experience. I know that the seeds have been planted and now there is so much more to discover. Wishing friends and family around the world a happy and healthy new year! with light and love, Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment